Title graphic by Martin Budd
Site Guide
Main Page
Sponsor Mark
The Walk
The Route
Daily Progress
Contact Mark
About Mark
The Guestbook
Do you live on the route?
It will be cooold in June in the places Mark is going! If any kind soul that lives along the route that Mark is following would like to accommodate Mark for a night during the walk, please contact Mark.
Fancy a stroll?
I am more than happy to have people join me for a day or two as I walk. If you feel like a day's walk through the  countryside, check out the route, pick a day that suits you and contact Mark.


Update 2


The 6 most recent photos (numbered 200 onwards) can be found here.

 June 20:  Cronulla to Curracurrang (13km)
That first day sure took its toll on my feet (but strangely only my feet). I awoke in Cath's spare room at 5:30 when my alarm went off, and tried to get up. Nothing doing. Everything below the knees was mutineeing. So I slept for a couple more hours, knowing that there was no way I would be able to walk the entire 30km length of the Royal National Park that day. I'd split it in two, thus giving my body (my feet, really) a chance to adjust to this damnable walking thing.

With Paul, I caught the 10:30 ferry to Bundeena (which could only be considered cheating if I was actually able to walk on water), and started walking at about 12:30 - a gentle strolling pace, as opposed to the powerful (but foolish) striding with which I walked most of yesterday.

After two hours Paul had to return to the Bundeena ferry, so a tearful (on my part, anyway) goodbye was had on Big Marley beach. I felt a little lonely and sorry for myself after he left.

After an hour's rest in Wattamolla, I eventually halted for the day at a random piece of coastline near Curracurrang, and pitched my tent for the first time. I was asleep by 8, but not feeling nearly as hammered as the previous night. I feel like I might be able to pick up the pace again after today's and tomorrow's smaller schedules.

I felt lonely and daunted by what was to come. What had I committed myself to?

Of course, my itinerary is now adjusted, with all daily destinations pushed back 24 hours. If you're one of those kind souls that is planning to put me up for the night, please check the revisions.

 June 21:  Curracurrang to Scarborough (24km)
Day three - the shortest day of the year (and because I'm in a hurry to get this update out, a short installment too).

I got moving at 8 and walked through the most gorgeous scenery within 200km of Sydney. My feet weren't being to troublesome, although finding water was sometimes a challenge.

I received a generous offer of accommodations at Otford, at the southern tip of the Royal NP, 15km from where I started. The only problem was, I wasn't ready to stop there. So a compromise was reached. I dropped my pack at Otford, then walked 9km further down the road in the dwindling light without the burden of that beast on my back. And no, I don't think that's cheating. Then I caught the train back to Otford, with the plan of getting a lift back over those 9km tomorrow.

A very enjoyable evening was spent in the home of Chris and Rosalie, with their fun and gorgeous family. I wish every night could be like that.



The Cause

All monies collected on this walk will be donated to Mission Australia to care for the homeless.  To learn more about their work, visit www.mission.com.au
Spread the word
The more people that know about this walk, the more successful it will be.



Back to top

This site copyright Mark Virtue 2000.  All Rights Reserved

Back to top